Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hardware Removal 101, or Taking It All Out!


On October 18th, 2011 I had my plate and 5 screws taken out.

Here are some thoughts on that.

October 21, 2011

Thought I would tell you all about my hardware removal (3 days ago) in case you are interested!

I checked into the hospital at 7 am. It was deja vu! At least this time I ~walked~ down the hallway into pre-op! I was scheduled to go off at 9 a.m. but I was delayed until 9:20 a.m. The procedure was supposed to be 65 minutes, but Al said the doc was done with my after 45 minutes! Guess that is good in the fact that the metal came out easy.

I was in recovery for about an hour. When I woke up from the anesthesia I had no idea where I was or why I was there. What a weird feeling! So I was on my way home around noon. They didn't give me any crutches but I was wheeled out in a wheelchair. They put a lot of bandages around my leg and told me to leave them on until my post op visit (next week). So, I don't even know what my leg looks like. I do know that I can't have a shower for a week, but at least I can give myself a sponge bath this time while standing on my own two feet!

My pain level was a little high when I was first home. I was more concerned that I couldn't hardly bend my leg. My OS told me to try to bend it as much as possible without going overboard. It felt really tight when I tried to bend it the first day. It was awful to walk peg-legged again!

After 24 hours my leg hurt more than the first day. It felt like it was bruised and sore. Nothing that the Vicodin couldn't handle, though. I was getting by one crutch, but found by mid-day that it was much easier to get around without it.

My OS told me I could do some light pedaling on the stationary bike. I couldn't hardly make it around the first time because my leg was so tight, but after the first round it came much easier and really made my leg feel better. I am no hero about forgoing pain meds, but really after yesterday I wasn't in much pain at all so I quit taking them.

I am wobbly with my walking and haven't ventured outside the house. It is easy to stand and put weight on it, though. I can't tell how much swelling I have because of the big wrappings on the leg.

My biggest issue is that I have caught a cold and have spells of coughing and a runny nose. I haven't had a cold for years, and couldn't have picked a worse time to get one! All and all this procedure was nothing like the original one. It really makes me appreciate how much we all go through with our original surgeries.

I'll send you all an update after I see my OS next Wednesday and I'm able to see how bad my "new" scar looks!


October 27, 2011

Today (October 26, 2011) I went for my follow up and to have my stitches taken out. I should say "to get my ~stitch~ out. They finally removed my mummy wrap of bandages and I was very surprised to see no staples, like I had on the first go around. Instead, my OS told me she did a "cosmetic" stitch, which is one long stitch (sort of like a corkscrew) where they tuck the old scar down into the fresh scar. I don't think I'm doing a good job of explaining this, but she said it will make a really better looking scar once it's healed.

I noticed my scar is now bigger than the first time. She said because the bottom anchor screw (the one that holds the bottom of the plate flush) was difficult to get out. The top 4 screws (the big ones) came out very easily, she said.

Well, on the whole it looks pretty good. I can now feel the metal being gone. I do have some swelling near the incision, but when that subsides I won't see the bulky bulge where I had the plate. I did have some bruising along the medial side of the shin (I don't want to know how that happened).

After one week, my leg feels pretty darn good. I don't have complete ROM as before, but think that will come when the swelling subsides. I'm really happy that the pain of this was much less that I anticipated. Maybe after having it put in, nothing can compare, pain wise! I can walk almost normal, although I haven't tried walking any long distance yet. I can stand on it pretty much as before. Best yet, that "rubber band" feeling in the knee is gone. My knee feels "free" if that can be a word to describe it.

I'm really happy with my HRW removal and if your doctor says, "yes", hey I say, "go for it".

November 2, 2011

Here's my two week update for my HWR on October 18, 2011

It's been two weeks since the surgery and one week since I got the stitches out. The leg feels really good overall. I have a lot of bruising around the incision site. It doesn't look very pretty, but it is getting better. I still have quite a bit of bruising on the medial shin, although it is already yellow and fading. I still have a fair amount of swelling at the incision site, which I suppose would be normal. So, between the bruising and swelling it's not very pretty.

I am pretty much doing everything as before, with the exception of long walks. I think when the swelling and bruising goes down walking longer distances will be easier. I also walk a little bit slower than before. The ROM is almost 80+% of what it was before. I'm sure if I wanted to push it I could get more ROM, but I am not eager to test the stitches to the limit. I'm sure when the swelling goes down the ROM will come back.

As far as pain, I get some minor throbbing at night, but nothing too bad. Like I said, I am a big baby with pain and this procedure was much less than painful that I expected.

Another odd thing, my original scar was on the side of my left leg, and the removal scar is more about halfway between the old scar and the kneecap. And it is bigger than the original scar, but my OS told me that ahead of time.

It's a great feeling not to have that bulky plate in. It feels like taking off shoes in the evening and letting your toes wiggle around! Free!

November 17, 2011

I hit the 4 week mark yesterday and the leg is feeling really good. The bruises are still there, but the swelling has gone down a lot. I was surprised how much I bruised--maybe my OS didn't have a light touch!

I had to wear my bandages (size of King Kong, too) for a week. I was a bit disturbing to have it taken off, since there was a lot of dried blood on the wrapping. And the scar was (and still is) rather ugly to see, especially since the original scar was just a thin white line when I went in to the HWR removed!

Take it easy for a few weeks. Although you feel good your body has had another major trauma and needs to time to heal.

December 25, 2011

I had this exact same question after my removal and my OS told me to bend and stretch it but do so within reason. So no deep knee bends for awhile (hahaha). Actually just doing some light pedaling around my little exercise bike really, really felt good. I had a LOT of swelling so I knew from last time that I wouldn't get too distressed if my ROM wasn't up to the old standard. Sure enough, when the swelling went down, the ROM returned. My advice to you is not to worry too much about the ROM; it will come back. Concentrate on your healing.

BTW, my husband keloids really bad and I don't think there is much you can do about that. He is very self conscious about past scars and in time they will fade. I don't keloid and my scar still looks kinda bad, and it's been 3 months. The scar from the HWR, is much bigger than the original surgery but I'm hoping with time it will improve.

January 14, 2012

If I had any advice for you it is for you to take it easy and expect some pain. Some of the posts suggest it is a "walk in the park" but that wasn't my experience. Yes, you will walk out. Yes, you will notice rapid improvement. Keep up on the pain meds as you need them and don't overdo for a few weeks. It still is a major deal opening you up and taking out the metal.

January 28, 2012

yes, my original scar was used as the starting point for my removal work. Unfortunately for me, they had trouble getting the bottom screw out (the anchor for the bottom of the plate) and had to cut me longer than the original scar. So, my original TPF scar was maybe 4 inches, and the HWR scar is about 6. My OS did what she called a "cosmetic cut", which I believe was where the original scar was tucked inside the new scar. Also, my TPF scar was very much on the lateral (left) side, while the HWR scar is more right, or towards the knee cap. Not to worry, though when you see how wonderful it is to have the metal gone!

54 comments:

  1. Hi patty,
    Do you recommend having the hardware taken out? what are the benefits over just leaving it in for good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Folks
    I had TPF surgery last May 2013. I am considering having the metal removed as I have that feeling "like a rubber band" round my knee, restricting my ROM. By the way I am a yoga teacher and that is why I wan't to get back as much ROM as possible. At the moment I can't sit on my heels (virasana) because of the knee injury and can't do lotus either. I am going to phone the surgeon tomorrow to ask about metal removal land whether that will give me more movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi linda, just wondered if you did get out the metal, and if so did it improve your rom, I too am a yoga teacher, working hard on my rom for 7 months.
      cheryl

      Delete
    2. Rom about the same, only 6 weeks out from removal of plate, 12 screws. Tibia plateau IV fracture, 03/15/2014; bottom of knee feels better, although have not put my leg through the paces of high inpact, just walking and cycling. Mostly depends on age, orthopedic surgeon.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shattered TPF Feb 2015 age 59.5 Did four full months non weight bearing. Have had constant pain in tibia. Removal of hardware Jul 2017 booked for TKR Dec 2017. Lounging in bed wondering if I am only one with both giant dressing and steel/vecro full leg brace for 14 days? 5 days after surgery and having the same tibia pain. Anyone out there experiencing constant bone pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm getting my removal done in 2 weeks mainly due to the severe pain I'm in an tkr couple weeks after.... can you tell me how your doing so far an how is your pain level

      Delete
  5. Shattered TPF Feb 2015 age 59.5 Did four full months non weight bearing. Have had constant pain in tibia. Removal of hardware Jul 2017 booked for TKR Dec 2017. Lounging in bed wondering if I am only one with both giant dressing and steel/vecro full leg brace for 14 days? 5 days after surgery and having the same tibia pain. Anyone out there experiencing constant bone pain?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Unknown
    How does your knee feel now after removal of the hardware? I am looking to remove my hardware in March which would be one year from when I started walking after my TPF.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am booked for HWR on 11th November. Plate and 7 screws and I’m really scared. I was nwb for 4 months when it went in 2.5 yrs ago and remember the frustration of that period all too well. Surgeon tells me I’ll be 6 weeks pwb on crutches and need to be extremely careful for several months. I am very scared and keep wondering if I am doing the right thing having this lot out. Does anyone know from experience if they are ultra cautious what they tell you at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My surgery is the 9th of November and need to know the same thing

      Delete
  8. Hi I'm going for total removal in 2 weeks ... I've went thru hell an pain since 3/2015 I was nwb for 11 months... but OS says I need removal then TKR ... I'm scared to death bc I have such a low pain tolerance please tell me how y'all are doing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I had my removal yesterday and right now I'm regretting it... this pain is putting me thru hell ! But it has only been 24 hours I'll update later ( couple days)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Everyone,
    Thanks Patty for the detailed post. My father had a tibial bone fracture just below the kneecap in the year 2000. It was a very bad fracture and the local doctor did the best he could at that time. He has two plates along with 14 screws in his right leg. Also during the operation, the surgeon accidentally reduced the lateral knee joint space. So, it took almost 2 years for him to be able to walk properly and drive.
    It was all fine, he could bend his leg to around 100 degrees and he wasn't feeling any pain untill last year when he accidently slipped and somehow hurt the same knee again. Now, he is 60 years old and its been 17 years since the first injury.
    He is having troubles climbing up and down the staircase and inclined roads. He feels like his knee will buckle and unable to walk around alot. He feels tightness around the knee.
    The doctor suggested HWR + knee replacement surgeries. He is not willing to be bed ridden for two more years understandably. But we want him to be able to walk freely as before and considering a HWR surgery. Any one here has any advice on the following:
    1. At the age of 60, how will his healing be?
    2. Will the holes left by 14 screws render the bone weaker?
    We are very scared and don't want our decision to backfire. Another thing is he is overweight. Because of which we are afraid, his leg may not take his weight due to the screw holes. Also, he is unable to exercise to reduce his weight due to his leg pain. What to do? Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. How you doing. I had mine out on 11th November and doing ok. The frustration of crutches for 8 weeks is the worst for me. I was unable to bend it when it all went in and was worried this would happen again but already I have good ROM and it’s only caution really stopping me. It’s not too painful given the amount of clips. I usually chose pain over meds if I can. I hate those things. They offered me morphine when I came round and I said only if I beg otherwise don’t give me anything please. I had dressing changed yesterday and counted 45 clips so it looks gross but that’s least if worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My surgeon originally said 2 wks pwb then changed his mind to 6-8 wks. Had my plate & 7 screws removed 11th Nov. Surgeon 3 wks ago said when I see him at end of jan I should have just weaned myself of crutches. I did that about 2 wks ago - he would go crazy if he knew - I am walking with no limp where I felt I had a small limp when metalwork was in. It gets very tired if I walk a lot - done 3 miles today and sure can feel it tonight. Both surgeon & physio seem very concerned about refracture through screw holes after removal. I think just care & not overdo the first few weeks is def the secret. Good luck for the 12th.

      Delete
  12. Hi. I had total HWR 3 days ago (12 months post-op from type V-VI) and am confident it was the right move. 3 plates and 12 screws removed. Important: my Surgeon filled the screw holes with synthetic bone graft/glue. He said the bone would be too weak without that. So please consult with your surgeon on willingness to use it. My Surgeon deals with trauma patients only and I trust him. With glue, he said I could walk immediately (WBAT). I’ve been following instructions for elevation, ice, and foot pumping. My calf feels like it’s a burning sensitive tight knot so that’s my greatest challenge for now.

    During surgery he scoped my knee also, and removed to floating pieces of meniscus. He also traced back a nerve on medical side that has caused me a year of suffering and detached some scar tissue from it.

    I was afraid too. My fears have been alleviated. It is not like the first time since the bones and joint are stable and not shattered.

    Gargi- bone glue could help your dad. And for excercise he can use a stationary peddler on the table with arms so his heart gets excercised.

    Thank you Patty and everyone for sharing. ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having two plates and all the screws removed from my leg on Monday, Jan 22. I originally had a Bicondylar TPF in Mar of 2014. I have shin pain, tightness, and lost the feeling in my toes. I'm hoping that the shin pain is gone after all is said and done. I'm so scared after how badly the original surgery went. Reading some of these really helped. I'll post how things go afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had my hardware removed on 22 January and was told I can get my stitches out in a week and am FW bearing as tolerated. The first day I needed my crutches but day two and today I haven't! I don't have much ROM and that seems to be the biggest challenge thus far. I woke up in excruciating pain and could hardly believe it was outpatient and I was going to have to move but once they got my pain managed, I ultimately got myself in the wheelchair and then from the wheelchair into our truck. Hanging my foot down made for a long ride home and I felt every bump but I made it. Day two was pretty tough too but day three seems good. I'm moving around much better and working on bending my knee some today. I can't tell the benefits yet but will post some progress notes and then will hold off for after there's been some healing. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now 11 weeks and it feels good. Some things inc ROM are better since removal. Definitely no regrets with decision to remove. Like initial surgery it all suddenly seems to come together. Got the ok now to do must things sensibly avoiding impact still but didn’t do impact activity before removal so .......

    ReplyDelete
  16. What hardware did you have removed? Just had mine done Monday and I'm looking for similar experiences to share!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Al, I am doing better than expected but understand I have a way to go! I had 3 plates and 13 screws removed after four years since Bicondylar TPF /Fibula fracture. Need more ROM. Right now that seems to be biggest challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine had been in 3 years and I wanted it out in prep for the new knee which I am told will be inevitable at some point. When it all went in I was nwb for 4 months and had rom issues for months. It always felt tight even when some rom returned. It now feels much looser and I have slightly more rom than before. So now 11 weeks on I am pleased I went ahead with it. First few weeks were tough again whilst pwb but that’s over now. My surgeon has a reputation with being very, if not over, cautious with rehab instructions but I obeyed all his advice as the last thing I wanted was any backwards progress. Such stupid injuries which affect you for years, if not life. So annoying. I did mine skiing with a low speed fall which caused a twisting action I couldn’t easily get out of. Good luck.

      Delete
  18. Al, thank you for sharing that information. I still felt tight also even though my ROM had fully returned. Can't kneel or scrub floor on knees due to extreme tenderness. If anything touched my shin it hurt like crazy. Our initial rehaps sound similar. I was nwb for four months and really did a number on my knee. I was in a car accident and had a full contraption on my left wrist in addition to the knee. I couldn't do anything. This is going much better and the only fear I have is the numbness in my foot I was left with. It wasn't bad enough to stop driving so I'm praying that isn't aggravated. Take care,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  19. Al, thanks! Actually I'm glad to hear I may be able to kneel again! I have grandkids and a house to keep up with! For me it will be good! I won't overdo it. How long ago did you have your hardware out?
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11th November. Saw surgeon this week and he doesn’t want to see me for 3 months now, which will then be 6 months after removal and he says that will be my last visit. For info I am 60 yrs old (but I fairly fit one in my opinion). Hoping knee replacement is many years in the future and I will be so bonkers by then I won’t care lol.

      Delete
  20. My Ortho only wants to see me for stitches removal to the best of my knowledge. I'm not scheduled for a TKR at all right now. I'm 58, close to 60 and was in good shape before my wreck
    I'm strong but not in great shape due to knee pain prior to getting hardware removed. So, we shall see. I'll have lots of questions for OS at two week mark and take it from there. Right now it's wait and see. Thanks for all your sharing! You're the first person I've actually communicated with that had this type of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good to exchange stories, symptoms, progress with someone who has experienced similar things. Not many people really understand if they have not experienced this. I had to be repatriated back to uk by air ambulance following my surgery in Europe after accident and spent some time then in hospital here where I met a girl who had a serious leg fracture from a fall downstairs. We became good friends during that time and have remained so - during our own very different recoveries we both felt there was only us who really understood what each of us was going through.

      Delete
  21. Al - most people don't experience this level knee injury. That I learned. And, even I naively thought I'd be back to normal one day but this level of break does permanent damage in most cases and it's hard to find like situations. The closest thing I've found, but I don't go, is the Trauma Survivors Network. More people there have permanent damage from their injuries but they aren't necessarily knee injuries. So, yes, it's really good to compare and find similarities. Thank you so much for taking the time to write! I lived in the UK for four and a half years. Scotland. Back in the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Scotland also too in the 80’s - Largs in Ayrshire, a beautiful part of the country.

      Delete
    2. Al - nearly three weeks out and I don't regret having it done. My range of motion is almost back to full. I still have pain but not the same pain I had prior to surgery. Thank you for all of your informative posts!

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was in a horseback riding accident in 2016 and ACL tear and tibial platesu fracture. 4 months non weight besting gradually began wslking again n eventually was able to ride again. A year and a half I cant ride with stirrups because puts too much pressure on my leg and knee but I can ride bareback. I cant jog or run but I can walk and use an elliptical trainer. I still have a lot of weakness in my left leg and tightness in my calf and pain in my mid shin with walking. I have 20 screws in my leg and would really like to get the hardware take it out. I am wondering if anybody has a recommendation on an orthopedic surgeon who they had success with with hardware removal? Also I am wondering about the average rehab time once the hardware is removed to being able to walk again? Thank you so much for providing this for him it was really nice to talk with people who have experienced this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary- How is your leg now? Mine is permanently numb throughout my shin and foot plus I can't kneel on that knee. It's depressing.

      Delete
  24. Where do you live? I just had my hardware out and I was told to use the surgeon who put it in if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Al - at three weeks I'm scared to try to kneel! I have pilates on a DVD that I intend to start in about a month. My Dr said my ROM was coming back so we'll he didn't think I needed physio unless I wanted it. I told him I'd wait for now. The spasms are gone. I can sit crosslegged and things seem to be going well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had surgery on Jan 29th 2018 for a tibia platuea fracture. 3 1/2 months out still in lot of pain. It's a weird pain that's hard to describe. My xray shows one of the 5 screws has backed out. My os has recommended hw removal. I am really scared but just want to be pain free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the bone is healed, I think it's a good choice.

      Delete
  27. I had accident with Tibial Plateau Fracture in Dec 2010. Plate and 8 screws from knee to mid shin. They did a bone graft during the surgery from my shin so I have two scars on left leg. Was NWB for 6 months with an infant and toddler at home and living on the second floor. I have never been pain free, and my shin hurts way more than the knee itself, but the ROM and tightness are a big deal for me as well as simply climbing stairs. If I do too much the area between the two scars bruises and swells and the leg aches. I have been told multiple times by several doctors that this makes no sense as in xrays the screws are above or below and that this must be some other type of pain or I'm fishing for meds. (funny since I think I took just the inital dose and then opted for tylenol or it's equivalent) The OS who did the repair told me I would never need to have it removed and my quality of life will not change. I moved back to MD from SC 2 years post op and saw one Dr. who said it was a 50/50 toss up, saw another who said so many things were done incorrectly in the initial that it probably would not help alleviate the pain but would help in eventual TKR. Finally, after seeing yet another OS and one who is held in high regard in this area, I have been told that not only should a hardware removal help me greatly with pain, but that in looking at xrays several of the screws have backed out and are causing damage to soft tissue and that he is certain when he gets in there that he will need to arthroscope it as well for the debris he is certain is lurking in the knee that should have been cleaned up during the intial. He tells me that he will go in through the original incision, that I will be in the outpatient center for about 3 hours and will go home with PWB for a few days then limited for initial healing period. He seems to feel that the swelling and bruising and constant tight pain will be alleviated, but I am getting so nervous about this. The pain, the down time, the "what ifs" as a single mom of 2 elementary age girls is starting to really scare me. I'm scheduled for the removal 6/7 and go from excitement to a better life with my girls to fear that I'm making the wrong call and it will be a longer road with more pain...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had my hardware out in January of this year. I had a level five TPF in March of 2014 and have been left with extreme tightness and no knee pain but stairs aren't second nature anymore. As far as hardware removal, I went home with PWB as tolerated and was FWB in two days. When I woke up, I thought it was the biggest mistake I could have made but as soon as I got moving, it was better and by two days I had full ROM again. My doc (in Maryland) used the same wound mark to do the removal and the scar is already nice and light and any pain I had in my shin is now gone. The tightness in my shin is permanent in my opinion and my OS said the same. I think you will do fine. I had Dr. Nascone at University of Maryland Shock Trauma. Good luck! If you can get some help for two - three days, you'll be set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My parents are planning on taking my daughters on vacation the morning after surgery so I can have a few without them underfoot. I am planning on spending Thursday night -Sunday at my brothers for the additional support/people. The past few days with weather as well as a lot of driving over the weekend left me so swollen and sore and even slightly bruised in the shin area again. it just solidifies that I need to do this.

      Delete
  29. Good luck to you. It only made a few changes for me but they were important changes. My dogs would walk over my shin while I was in my recliner and it used to hurt. No more! But, these are bad breaks and they do leave permanent nerve damage like the tightness. I've even lost 25 pounds thinking it would make that leg have more give to the skin but that remains the same. Just don't want you to think it will be all perfect but you will feel some relief and I recovered very quickly. Especially compared to the original surgery. Good luck again! I think the metal just isn't meant to stay on our bodies. The sooner it's out, the less chance for other complications.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm sure it's not going to be 100%, but anything has to be better than this... my shin hurts and swells at the slightest exhertion (i.e. a few flights of stairs or walking on a hill) and my 5 year old bumps me regularly which makes me see stars literally. I will be happy with less regular pain and being able to get up and down without pain. I know the OS that put it in did a few big booboos in his initial and am hoping that removal and clean up of debris fixes the major issues... easier less painful movement means easier time losing the weight I should in order to have relief in general ;) ... and since it was supposed to be a 2 year in (according to new OS) I'm almost 7 years overdue

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck! I know you'll feel some relief!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  32. My surgery was slated for 2 pm and was supposed to be 45 minutes to remove plate and screws and clean up anything in the knee and then stitch up. But with me things are never simple LOL after a huge debacle for finding a vein for the iv, we headed in a few minutes ahead of schedule. Then this surgery started getting complicated. 2 hours and 15 minutes later I was wheeled to recovery and 20 minutes later was on my way to the car via the wheel chair. my left leg wrapped to the point it was EASILY 2 or 3 times larger than my right. I was handed prescriptions, 3 pages of photos from the arthroscope as well as a bag with the plate and 9 screws. looking like a carpentry kit and HEAVY. He went in initially to clean out with the arthroscope anything in the knee before removing the plate. He got all the debris out, fixed a miniscus tear, a ligament tear, cleaned up some arthritis behind the knee and reattached a nerve, removed the top screws with no problem, then had to cut more to get to the lower ones as they did not want to come out, and he ended up needing to chip some bone growth from the heads of two and force one that had started backing out on it's own and did not want to budge further.
    I was told to take aspirin every day for 2 weeks to prevent clotting. Attempt to bend and put as much weight as possible on it in the next week and a half. I go back on the 18th to have the stitches and 28 staples removed (yeah, MORE staples this go round than the last and he didn't think that there would need to be any) I got to my brothers house where I was spending the weekend and into a comfy chair with an ottoman to prop the leg and bags and bags of frozen peas. The leg actually felt BETTER Thursday night than it did an hour before surgery Thursday morning. which I am hoping is a GOOD sign. I was told no unwrapping or showering for 5 days and that I would need to follow the scrip precisely to stay ahead of the pain. (I HATE opiates and did not want them at all) I have been with pain levels at about 2 or 3 since Thursday with just taking aspirin and am a ok with that. no real severe pain, just stiff and tightness at the knee which I expected with swelling, and a burning itchy pain every now and then which I can only imagine is the staple/stitch areas pulling against the wrappings. I'm sure I'm all kinds of colorful under there. and am already preparing for the worst with scaring (in other words I'm thinking of cover up tattoos) Dr happily told me that once he was able to get in and clean up everything, that he doesn't think I will end up needing knee replacement after all. and that if I am FWB and able to bend close to 90 degrees by next Monday and the staple removal then I should not need PT either. Just things to do at home to build strength. My 9 year old wanted to keep the metal, my 5 year old wants pictures of my leg when we unwrap it and every day until it's not icky any more LOL. Drove to work today. So far so good although I truly think I will need a nap at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, can you give an update? I am headed in for HWR in September and would love to hear how you are.

      Delete
  33. That's interesting because I was four sticks for my IV also! Sounds like it was a good outcome. Better than you feared anyways. Each day gets easier. I feel like I'm fully back now and it's five months out. I'm glad it went well in the end and it's looking like you won't need a KR. That's good news. Take care,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  34. After 33 years of wearing my Tibial hardware I am finally going to have it removed...followed by a knee replacement. Thanks for the info here...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good luck! I had mine out but no knee replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for this. I had the hardware out and it was not a "walk in the park". Glad to know I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. Mine was no walk in the park but I bounced back fairly quickly. When did you have it done?

      Delete