Thursday, October 10, 2013

3.5 Year Update

Hi Everyone!  Hope you all are doing well.

You know, when I started my little blog, I did so for a few reasons.

When I was told I had a TPF and had no idea what that meant.  I looked it up on the internet and didn't find much information.  Either it was too technical (as in written by orthopedic doctors and I had no idea what the terms meant) or just plain sensational (as in, "the worst thing to happen to me", or "my leg will never be whole again").

As most of us sitting with a broken leg can relate to, you have plenty of time to search the internet and frankly, I was scared to death about what I read.  Back then, I really would have liked to read about  the progress of a "normal" person.  I wanted to see what I could expect down the road at six months, one year, etc.  I had a hard time finding that kind of information.

But mostly, I wanted some reassurance that, at 52 years old, my active life wasn't over and I wasn't destine for a life of knee problems, pain, and lack of activity. So, I thought I would document my journey--as a journey of a "normal" person.  Not that I am "normal" in any way!

I really never expected more than a handful of curious, or maybe bored people to look at it.  I have so much empathy for people with this injury and know how helpful a positive outlook and outcome can have on people. I did on me!

I also know that as time passes the memories sort of mellow and what seemed like a big deal back then is soon forgotten. I wanted to be able to show people exactly what I was feeling at the time, not with the 20/20 hindsight I have now.

Finally, I wanted to recommend a resource for you guys.  A fellow TPF sufferer, my friend Sholmi has developed a great web page:  http://www.mytpf.com/  I wish this was around when I was down with my injury.  It's great to know that you are not alone while recovering.


Life is good after a TPF; Halloween Party 2013

2 comments:

  1. Hi, im glad you have recovered so well, and I have to thank you for this blog, as I also have had a TPF, and it was so difficult for me to recover, but things seem to be coming along now, I finally got the metal work taken out only last Tuesday, so am awaiting my staples to come out, I feel I am on the last lap now of my recovery, Are you able to go running, or able to do any sports? of any kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Step! I"m glad are able to get your hardware out! Be sure to take it easy and not overdo for awhile. I"m 56 years old so I don't run anymore (I did when I was younger) but my PT said there is no reason for me not to. I do a lot of walking and hiking, which is something I always enjoyed doing before the break. Ask your PT or OS and see what they think about sports. You can always try things and let your body be your guide! Good luck with your continued progress!!

    ReplyDelete